Considering January just began a couple of days ago it seemed fitting that my first post be centered around winter in some way. This year I’ve really been paying extra attention to my skin and treating it right, and around this time of year that ultimately means hydration so all of these products are focused around that. My skin is extremely combination, I have the driest of patches but then can get extra oily throughout the day and very acne-prone. All of the products I have gathered together my skin has truly been loving around this time of year.
To begin I have some of my everyday skin care items. I use these whether I’m wearing make-up that particular day or not.
- Moisturizing is super important all year round but I find especially during the winter months I need a heavy-duty moisturizer. This is where my Image Skincare Prevention + moisturizer comes in. This has SPF in it so I love it when I’m going places that have snow on the ground to protect my face from the sunlight that bounces back off the snow. This is a super heavy mattifying moisturizer but does not break me out or irritate my sensitive skin at all.
- In the winter I’m also looking for skin care products that will illuminate my skin and add nutrients to it. I got this travel size B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Gel by Drunk Elephant in a holiday set and fell in love with all their products. These are more expensive so I think the sets are really helpful to try out a couple different things from this brand. This gel is in a 8 ml bottle and has lasted me well over a month, a little goes a very long way. After using this my face feels hydrated, nourished and refreshed. You can tell the benefits from this product lasts for multiple days after applying.
- I also like to keep a lighter moisturizer handy for days when I’m going to be applying make-up very soon afterwards or when I feel extra oily. My favorite right now is the Soap & Glory The Fab Pore moisture lotion. This moisturizer is a cross between a gel formula and lotion formula. It has the lightness of a gel formula but you really feel it hydrating your skin like a lotion. An extra perk is it helps reduce the appearance of your pores so I love using this prior to applying my make-up.
- Another product I see myself reaching for more during the winter months is an eye cream. The one featured above is the Bliss Baggage Handler Eye Gel. This is a super lightweight eye cream so it’s great to use in the morning before applying make-up but I also find it hydrating enough to be used during my night-time routine as well.
Next I have products that I usually only use on days when I will also be applying make-up to make sure my skin is hydrated and prepped.
- This product is the only toss-up in this category for me, I SHOULD use this product on days I don’t wear make-up but I really only grab it when I do wear make-up. This is the Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater. I adore the smell of rosewater but understand that some people out there can’t stand it. This does have a strong scent of roses that lingers on your skin so if you’re not a fan I might pass on this product. I love this to use before, during and after applying my make-up. I just think it’s brings so much nourishment to the skin and really revives your make-up throughout the day. I love facial mists in the winter when my skin is feeling a little dry to liven it up and during the summer months to refresh your skin.
- Next I have the First Aid Beauty Coconut Skin Moisturizing Primer. This is a newer product I picked up from FAB that I have absolutely been loving. It’s very similar to the Too Faced Hangover Rx primer but I find that this one is a little more moisturizing to the skin and leaves a beautiful glow that would look great on those who don’t like to wear make-up daily or love lighter foundation/tinted moisturizer.
- During the winter months I find myself feeling a little more sluggish and tired which then takes a toll on my face as well. My under eye area is something I never really paid much attention to until this winter and have been really loving using a cooling product on them prior to applying my make-up. This is the So Cool Eye Stick by Tony Moly When applied this has such an interesting cooling feeling and by applying this to the under eye area it really helps wake you and your under eyes up in the morning. And lets be real the packaging is adorable.
- Lastly and maybe the most useful product out of the bunch, I have my Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil Light. There are a billion and one facial oils out there so it’s really about finding one that you like and works for your skin texture. This can be used in any way imaginable. This can be used on the lips when they’re feeling extra dry before applying lipstick, a couple drops can be added to a beauty blender or brush to mix in with your foundation, this can be added to your moisturizer, used on the ends of your hair when they’re feeling extra dry or even rubbed into places like your elbows and knees that need extra love during these months.
Let me know if you use any of the products mentioned and how you feel about them or if you have any other suggestions of products that you love during the winter months!