I don’t know about you but when this time of the year rolls around I immediately want to start wearing brighter colors. This doesn’t have to stop with your wardrobe. There are many easy ways to add pops of color in your make-up routine, even for the neutrals only girl.
The easiest way to brighten up any look is a bright coral or plum lip. Keep the eyes and the rest of the face light and pop on your favorite bright lipstick. Finding the right lipstick for your skin can always be a struggle. Testing out drugstore options before making the plunge for a higher end bright lipstick is always a great idea. I love corals much more during the warmer months when I have a tan. Any type of bright lip really just screams spring/summer to me.
Above I have a few of my favorites:
- Mac Costa Chic – This is my go-to coral lipstick. It’s bright enough to really pop but not too much to wear for an everyday look
- Maybelline Hot Plum – This is part of their Vivids line so you know this is a bright lipstick. I love this color for me when I really want something out of the box but I highly recommend checking any of their lipsticks out from this line.
- Hourglass Muse – The first liquid lip I tried and still one of my favorite formulas. This is the perfect lip to throw on and forget about as this formula does not budge!
Swatches from L-R: Hourglass, Maybelline, Mac
My favorite and go-to way to add color throughout the spring/summer months is lining the lower lash line with a bright blue or turquoise liner. When I really want my eyes to pop I’ll even smoke out my lower lash line with blue shadow as well. If you really want to go out of the box, keep the whole face neutral and add a graphic blue winged liner to the upper lid. One that has shimmer in it is an even brighter touch. If all this is a little much for your spring make-up routine, keep it simple by doing your regular liquid eyeliner and adding a touch of the blue to the top of it.
For liquid liner I recommend:
- Wet N Wild Megaliner in A Case of Blue – This is such a pretty pale blue liner that could brighten any look. For such a cheap drugstore liner this is so pigmented and easy to apply.
- Stila Bora Bora – This is one of their sparkle waterproof eyeliners so it has a little shimmer in it and also stays on all day!
- Nars South Pacific – This is great duo of eyeshadows that allows you to pick the paler shade for day looks or the brighter shade when your really trying to make your lower lash line pop.
- Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Radium and Flipside – These are my all time favorite eye liner pencils. They stay on throughout the summer heat and apply so smoothly. Urban Decay bundles multiple of these colored eyeliners together occasionally which I would recommend checking out.
Bright Coral Cheeks:
The perfect way to brighten up any neutral look is to add a bright pop of color on the cheeks. I love a bright shimmery coral blush during the summer. This color looks great on a summer tan. I like shimmery blushes more during the summer because I don’t need to wear a highlight. Adding multiple products to your cheeks can cause them to look cakey and over done, especially during the hot summer days.
Above are my two favorite coral blushes:
- NYX Ombre Blush in Feel the Heat – This line of blushes has to be one of my all time favorites. They’re perfect because they’re buildable and you also have the option to swirl in the lighter side which is where the shimmer is at.
- Too Faced Perfect Flush Blush in Sparkling Bellini – This blush also gives you the option to customize the shade you’re looking for. This blush has an all over shimmer in it which gives you that glow from within look instead of straight on sparkles.
These are all my favorite ways to brighten up a neutral look during the warmer months. As someone who was once scared of any sort of colored make-up products, playing around with brighter colors can be fun and exciting! What are your favorite ways to change up your make-up looks in the spring?